Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Food Review - Sevy Elevy Combo Deals

When you're dining on a budget, you don't have to sacrifice taste and selection. Vancouver is filled with places you can go to eat when you are broke... err I mean... financially conscious. Take for example Taco Time; today Mike and I had two tacos ($2) and a small drink ($1.39) for $3.88. Now that is a great value. But the best value Mike and I found today was the combos at 7-11! Below I have listed the two combos we bought.


Combo #1 consisted of one taquito, small slurpee, and a bag of chips. This passed the car cup holder test with flying colours. The slurpee had no trouble fitting in the cup holder, and the single taquito can easily be held between your thighs with no effort at all. Therefore we went one step further and did the lap test. As you can see above, everything fits on one lap. Me think Mike is packing another taquito in his pants ;) . The lone taquito in the package gets cool pretty quick. During our tests, we found that with only one taquito, it has only a hot-span of 5 1/2 minutes. Which means that it should be consumed right after you leave the store.

"Man this is Filling! I can do this every day. Oh my god! This tacquito is heavenly" - Mike Tuka

For just over a twoonie, I believe this is the best value in town. However, since the taquito is not very good at holding its heat, I must give it only 6 hot dogs out of a possible 10.





This combo cost $1 more than the last one. It includes an extra taquito and a larger drink. This meal is quite substantial. I was full after eating the whole deal. On the downside, this combo did not pass the lap nor the cupholder test. The drink did not seat fully into the cup holder, and these cup holders can hold supersized McDonald's cups! The drink does seat halfway into the holder for those who live their lives precariously on the edge. In our lab tests, we found that the taquito can be eaten up to 8 minutes after purchase. After 8 minutes, the taquito becomes bodytemp warm. As you can see below, I was uncomfortable with the notion of sticking something warm and full of gooey cheese in my mouth.



Since transportation was a hassle and coupled with the fact that you don't get much for the extra $1 paid, I'm afraid I have to award this combo 5 hot dogs.


No comments: